Tuesday, December 10, 2013

the fragrance of Christ

{Preparing for Christmas: Week 2}


I love cinnamon.  

Cinnamon candles, cinnamon toast, hot spiced apple cider: I could sing with Maria, “These are a few of my favorite things…”  I love making French toast for breakfast; as it sizzles in the pan, it fills the kitchen with the scent of cinnamon.

Cinnamon reminds me of Christmas and all the good things that come with it.  My mom used to tie pairs of cinnamon sticks together with red satin ribbon and hang them on the Christmas tree.  They were my favorite ornament to unpack and hang up.  I loved pressing the sticks under my nose and inhaling their spicy fragrance.    

Every year I light cinnamon candles all over our house to fill it with their Christmassy scent.  I have one on my writing desk; as I write this I’m surrounded by the scent of Christmas.  


A thought occurred to me: this Christmastime, is my house filled with the fragrance of Christ as well as the scent of cinnamon?  Are kind, joyful words being spoken?  Am I filled with gratitude for the gifts in each day?  Am I infusing my kids with joyful anticipation for Jesus’ coming?  

Or am I allowing the stress of last-minute projects, cookie-making for neighbor families, or reaching my home-school goals overwhelm me?  Am I sinking into frustration because something didn’t turn out exactly like I’d hoped?

What spiritual scent is filling our rooms?  

Lord, help me light You as a scented candle in my heart, so your fragrance spills from my mouth and actions these Christmas days.  Fill our home with Your sweet Presence as we eat and sleep and talk and play together.  May every guest who comes through our doors notice not only cinnamon, but Christ.


{for the first post in this Advent series, click here...}

0 comments:

Post a CommentBest Blogger Tips