Saturday, April 20, 2013

Grandma Ruby's Zinfandel of Beef



The other night, I made my grandma's recipe for beef stew.

It. was. delicious.

So delicious that at the end of dinner (after two helpings each), our dishes looked like this:


Will's comment when he came in from outside and smelled it cooking was, "Wow, Mom!  That smells good!"  Yes, I am raising boys, and they like to eat.  I'm afraid to imagine the teenage years.


I felt a warm glow of pride that my family was so happy with my cooking, and also a kind of domestic thrill that I have preserved this special recipe from my grandma... I know it will be feeding our family for many years to come!



In case you're craving a warm, hearty stew one of these chilly spring evenings...

Here, for your cooking pleasure, is Grandma Ruby's Zinfandel of Beef.  Enjoy!

3-4lbs beef stew meat, cubed
2 cups onions, sliced
2-3 cups potatoes, cubed
2-3 cups carrots, cubed
2 cups celery, chopped (I left this out and it was still yummy!)
2 cups fresh or canned tomatoes, chopped
7-8 cups liquid: 2 cups hearty red wine, 5-6 cups beef stock
6 T butter, melted
4-6 T flour

Simmer beef for 2-3 hours in the wine and beef stock.  Check for doneness.  Add vegetables, simmer 30-40 minutes until tender.  Remove beef and vegetables from pot.  Melt butter, stir in flour a little at a time.  Remove from heat.  Whisk in broth a little at a time until a smooth paste forms.  Reincorporate paste back into the remaining broth, add meat and vegetables back in, heat until bubbling.  Serve with crusty bread and sliced cucumbers!




0 comments:

Post a CommentBest Blogger Tips