Sunday, March 7, 2010

Practicing the Art of Abundance

I have a new strategy. Whenever it all just gets a bit to much for me and I start snapping at Will and Ben and just can’t find joy in mothering anymore, as soon as James gets home I ask him to take them both for 15 minutes, and I escape with a cup of tea and “The Art of Abundance” by Candy Paull. After praying and asking Jesus to please remind me of the source of my joy, I read a few pages of that book and then fill up one sheet in my journal with an “abundance list”. It works wonders. Here’s my list from today:


Abundance is… a brand-new tea towel from a friend.


Abundance is… playing ping-pong with a two-year-old.


Abundance is… three squares of Dove chocolate with almonds.


Abundance is… having a coo-conversation with a baby. Your baby.


Abundance is… a cup of tea with cream.


Abundance is… knowing who you are.


Abundance is… the sound of a door opening.


Abundance is… a husband willing to take the kids so you can have a break.


Abundance is… the way a two-year-old talks.


Abundance is… discovering it’s possible to cook a cake in a frypan.


Abundance is… a really sunny day after a fresh snowfall.


Abundance is… your baby’s chubby cheeks.


Abundance is… flowers from your husband for no reason at all.


Abundance is… making eye contact.


Abundance is… fifteen minutes all to yourself.


While I’m making my list and drinking my tea, I can feel my tank filling back up again. It takes the full 15 minutes, but by the end, I’m transformed. My life feels rich and full, I’m thankful again for my immense collection of blessings, and my joy comes bubbling back. Try it. It works!

P.S. Thank you so much to those of you who are posting comments-- it's so encouraging to know people are actually reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog and your writing! The stories are wonderful :) I sometimes only have a minute so I can't always comment, but I have your posts on my Google Reader so they are there :) Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are reading!
    Love and miss you!
    Ben

    ReplyDelete